16 May 2011

Festa della Mama


An interesting fact to start off this week's blog post- did you know that the clothing sizes in Italy run 2 whole sizes smaller??? The blue shirt above was a gift from the church in Taranto for Eric's birthday. This one in particular, was after we exchanged the original (size L) for an XL. Underneath the blue shirt is one of Eric's shirts from the states, a size L. Needless to say we went back and got a 2XL. When we googled it sure enough, an Italian 2XL is equivalent to our L!


Two weekends ago, the brothers, Eric, Mino, and spent Saturday evening visiting the city called Grottaglie, which is famous for it's hand made ceramics.


Eric and Luca


Fabrizio and Mino


Little Caesar's anyone?



Grottaglie was so beautiful at night. They were having some sort of festival that night in this park. The floors were so beautiful and shiny. It felt like we were in some sort of dream land. Later, we returned back to Taranto and got some pizza to-go. We took it back to our place, watched a movie, and ate some delicious chocolate chip cookies (thanks Jim!).




This particular Sunday morning, was Franco's (Mino's dad) turn to preach at the church inTaranto. Afterwards, Franco and Mino invited us to ride with them to Franco's parent's country house for a Mother's day lunch together. On our way, Mino put in a cd with a familiar favortie tune of mine. . . =)


Above is the Verardi family! Grandmaw, Grandpaw, Franco, Anna Maria, kids, sisters, brothers, cousins, and two Americans =)


After eating a plate full of penne pasta and red sauce, this was our second plate!



What's next? After some mixed nuts and cafe, it was time for desert! Cooking in general is not my strong suit. Both my mom and grandmaw are excellent cooks- somewhere down the line, the gene was dropped. Normally this is not such a big deal- in fact, sadly, in America, most of us are too busy to wory about dinner anyway (at least speaking for Eric and I). However, here in Italy, cooking and eating is like a love language. When someone has you over for lunch or dinner, it is the nicest gesture that the can do for you. The women here are absolutely incredible. The amount of time they spend cooking and cleaning in the kitchen is beyond me- and they love it. All of this to say, no I haven't miracously became an Italian Julia Child over night, but like everything else here in Italy, I have found my way to a different solution- dessert. Out of all of the fabulous food italy has to offer- the dessert course is a little lacking. They have crispy chocolate filled bombolonies, small strawberry tarts, and cream puffed cannolis, but when it comes to a fudge brownie or a red velvet cake- they have never heard of it. I It makes me happy and alot more at ease, that I now have something in return to contribute to this love affair of food! Maria (the daughter of Franco) told me the last time we were together, that she liked peanut butter cookies (a missionary in the past had made for her). Knowing that there would be about 20 something people for lunch that day, I wanted to make something else in addition. My original plan was to make a red velvet, thanks to my mom who shipped the red food coloring =) However, after returning home from Grottaglie and cooking cookies for the boys, I ran out of time. I settled for a cupcake mix with sprinkles instead.


Katia, her little sister, Andrea and Mino


Maria and Salvatore



All together =)



At the Verardi country house, they also have a tremendous garden full of vegetables, flowers, grapes, lemon and olive trees.



Me and Anna Maria (Franco's wife)


Franco and Eric


Eric, Mino, and Andrea


Franco and his iphone =)


The girls =)

What a wonderful afternoon together. It was so nice to be with the Verardi family and enjoy getting to know them better. Eric and I feel very blessed to have them here close to us while we are working so far away from our home in America.


3 comments:

  1. It is so like deja vu reading about your adventures! We never got to go to Franco's parents house though. :)

    So weird about the sizes huh? I wish we had taken a picture like that. It was so unflattering to have to buy bigger and bigger sizes...

    We loved Grottaglie at night too! So fun!

    Describing the eating in Italy as a love language is very appropriate! It is hard to help other Americans understand what a big deal it is. I'm glad you discovered the dessert secret. I could make the simplest things and they would fall over like it was something amazing! :)

    You will probably learn more about cooking Italian style as time goes on. We did. Though we never got anywhere NEAR as good as those beautiful Italian women.

    I'm so glad you are getting to know the Verardis! They are special people.

    Tanto amore dagli Stati Uniti!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I don't know if you have received my note by mail, but I am Amanda's mom. We visited in Italy while they were there so we know many of the people and places that you write about in your blog. I absolutely love reading about it! I'm so glad you and Eric met Rina and Stefano as well as Guilia at the retreat. They were so wonderful to Amanda & Jeremy and we appreciate them so much.

    I know there are a lot of difficulties in your situation, and I pray for you and Eric often. I know God will bless your effort, it seems He has already given you many opportunities.

    I had stopped sending things to Rina because she said they had to pay customs on anything bigger than a larger envelope. Has anyone sent you something? I wondered if you have had to pay to receive the boxes. If I can mail you something; sweets, things for the kids, etc. and it doesn't cause an expense for you, let me know. I would be glad to send it.

    We grew to love the church in Taranto, please give them our love.

    SuAnne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Amanda for keeping up with us! =) Im sorry its taken so long to write back, we have been on the go for the past few weeks! Yes, the sizes are so strange, haha. And the desert secret is very much helping me here =) One of their favorites so far is simply the chocolate chip cookies. We are very happy to get to know everyone here in and around Taranto better- as you both know, what a blessing!!

    Suanne- how funny, did you know that my mom's name is Suzanne?? Yes, we received your sweet letter- thank you so much for thinking and praying for us here in Italy =) There will always be some difficulties, but they are making all of us stronger, and the Spirit is working here and it is amazing to witness. =) Yes, my mom has sent us a few packages with cooking supplies etc. Thank you for asking about that! How great it is this that we can all know each other through this work in Italy. =) Hope you and your family are enjoying the week!!

    Jessica and Eric

    ReplyDelete