08 March 2011

A doppo Firenze....





I can’t believe we have only been in Taranto for a little over a week.

First, let me say this- if you ever decide to pack up all of your belongings and move to a foreign country to live, please take my advice and pack as least as possible. It certainly was a sight to be seen to watch Eric and I each lug two big roller suitcases and a backpack on our 12-hour train ride from Florence to Taranto! Ha. Thankfully we only had one stop where we had to change trains. You could say we made a few friends who were nice enough to help us go up and down two flights of stairs with our luggage…

Anyways, on our second train we were assigned a couchette to sit in. For those of you who don’t know, a couchette is an enclosed space big enough for 6 people and maybe one bag each (no, our 4 bags and 2 backpacks didn’t fit. they waited outside in the hallway of the train.). We encountered two men. Immediately they began asking us about ourselves, what we are doing in Italy etc. When we explained to them that we are Christians teaching English using the Bible, their second question was, if we weren’t Catholic, what type of Christian?? We began to explain how we believe only in what the Bible says, and that Jesus is the only way to heaven. Immediately they said, "oh so you are Jehovah’s Witnesses." When we said no and re-iterated that we are simply Christians trying to follow what the Bible says, they were obviously confused. We had this discussion for probably an hour. They had never heard of this type of "religion" and kept asking more questions. This experience is an example of the work here in Italy. Most of the people here have never heard the real truth of the Bible, and of Jesus. Also, as the 12 hours ticked by, we met other people who asked about us, why we were here, where we came from (Italians are curious by nature =) ) , and they could not believe that we would leave America and come to Taranto. It was absolutely shocking to them. 


 As soon as we made it to Taranto (it was around 9 at night) we were greeted with two big smiles, Andrea and his dad Franco. Immediately we felt at home seeing them. After getting a quick espresso, Vito and his wife Antonetta pulled up. I was so happy to see Antonetta! She is always so sweet to me. I can tell she tries to take care of me. Right away, although we couldn’t stay there because the gas wasn’t turned on, we went to go and see our new apartment! We were completely blown away.  Eric and I knew nothing about the apartment before we arrived other than it was around the corner from the church- so it was a complete surprise! Even now, I can’t believe how God has blessed us with this place. As I mentioned above, it is literally right around the corner from the church. This is good because the bus systems here are not safe or reliable like they were in Florence. So this allows us to just walk around the corner to where we will be having our classes. Also within walking distance is a grocery store and a vendor that sells fresh fruits and vegetables, which I have already grown accustomed to =). A little back-story on the apartment: the couple that lived here before us were very old and passed away 7 months ago. Now their daughter is renting it to us. This being said, it also is fully furnished! After dropping our luggage off at our apartment, the first night we stayed in Latiana with Vito and Antonetta. Latiana, by the way is about a 45 min drive from Taranto. After this, for the next week,  we were shuffled back and forth from place to place as we waited for the lights and gas to be turned on. 

Vito and Antonetta are the only ones who speak any English, and they live in a different town- so after 6 months of living at the Bible School around English speakers, we all of the sudden found ourselves as foreigners. Ha. A little bit of culture shock- but I will tell you this, that in the 1 week that we have been here, I can already tell how much we have improved- so it is a blessing for us.

While we waited for the gas, we stayed with two brothers Fabrizio and Lucca. They share an apartment about 30 min outside of Taranto. Everyday, they would take us back and forth from their apartment to ours to check for the gas. While all along they also have work and lives of their own! We have been so humbled by their dedication to help us, and just their lives as Christians. I wont go into details other than to say, they are living examples of what it means to put others before yourselves. We are truly blessed by their friendship. 

You could say that we hit the ground running. Our first Sunday just happened to be the Agape (remember its like a Potluck)! So not only did we get to see everyone in Taranto, but also everyone from Latiana and Meziana as well! We were really encouraged to see everyone again. Other than spending time getting to know the brothers, we also have been visiting with Franco (he came to get us at the train station our first night) and his wife Enza. They have three boys: Simone, Francesco, and Andrea (he was also at the train station the first night). Last week we had lunch with them a couple of times and I am excited to get to know all of them better.

After the Agape, I was talking with Laura's mom (Laura is 9 years old and is the only kid at church in Taranto right now) when she asked me if I would be interested in teaching English in Laura's class at school! She said she had already asked the teacher about it and was hoping I could go and meet the class that coming Tuesday! Of course I said YES!

In the midst of all of this, we still were not in our house yet. Monday, the gas was turned on, but it was only working for the stove and oven- not for the hot water. . .

Tuesday after Laura's school the gas technico was supposed to come, but canceled and re scheduled for Wednesday. Anyways, the first lesson with the kids went great! It was so much fun and I m pretty sure the kids loved it as much as I did. After I finished the teacher asked if I could come every Friday at the same time for a lesson with them, and eventually do the same for the class across the hallway! I am so excited about all of this. I feel like it is a perfect way to get to know the people of Taranto and to share God's love =)

 When we left the school, we had lunch with a member of the church in Taranto named Anna Maria. I really really really enjoy her company. She is an older woman who lives alone only a couple streets over from us. Anna Maria was one of the first Christians in Taranto, and remains faithful. She is sweet, funny, so sharp. She even speaks a little bit of English. I want to go and visit with her at least once a week. In fact, when I told her I was coming for a visit this week to look at all of her old photos, she said ok, and then a couple of days later, she said she is going to fix mussels for us for lunch that same day (by the way, mussels is what Taranto is known for)! I’m excited. I hope to get a picture with her so you can "meet" her- except she has already told me she doesn’t like to have her picture taken. Ha. I guess I will have to be sneaky =) 

What else?? Wednesday the gas technico finally came. There were two problems; the first being that we couldn’t get hot water, and the second was a major natural gas leak. The technico turned out to be a 24 yr old named Michelangelo (Dr Choate are you reading this??) and his friend. They did a great job getting everything fixed for us. While they were working, the curiosity began of who we are and why we are here. When he discovered that we were American, Mickey (he prefers this to Michelangelo) immediately asked if Eric could give him English lessons. Isn’t that amazing how God works??? Their first lesson was last night and it went very well. In fact Mickey wants to meet twice a week. Besides Mickey, Eric is also giving lessons to about 4 other members of the church (all men). One man, Giovanni, actually is not a member, but he came last week for the first time with his friend who is a member Giuseppe. Their first class with Eric is this Friday night before church.

I also have one student. When we went to go and meet our landlady for the first time, we also met her daughter, Antonella. She was really sweet, and when she found out we are English teachers, she asked when she could start! Our first lesson is today. I’m excited to make a new friend here. There seems to be more men than women and I’m not entirely sure why. For example, even the teens, there are 5 ranging from age 16- 20, are all boys! Ha. This is going to be another focus for Eric and I, is encouraging these teens. We are aware that a lot of people view Italy as a tourist spot that is beautiful and fun to visit- and it is when you come for yourself for vacation. However, living here is a different story. In the short 6 months that we have been here in Italy and the week in Taranto, our eyes have been opened to many different issues that Italy faces- especially when it comes to the teenagers here. It is difficult for them to choose things that are positive, because when and if they do- they are alone. I wont go into detail, but we ask you to pray specifically for the youth here in Taranto, and in Italy as a whole. Please pray that Eric and I can be of service to them, to encourage them to choose life. 

I know that this is a lot to catch up on (and believe it or not- I left out a lot!), and that there are no photos!!! =( I promise to get some taken ASAP. Love you all and miss you. 


ps. I miss Rosa's cooking. ha. but in the mean time, I'm learning to invent new dishes (poor eric, haha) .....I think this is my favorite so far- Pasta with Zucchini, Pancetta (like diced bacon), Tomatoes, onion, garlic, and of course olive oil and Pepperincino. Yum.

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing that you already have so many students! I am glad that things have changed and people are more interested. I always wanted to teach in Laura's school, but it never worked out so I am super jealous :) We are so excited that Giuseppe is still coming to church and even bringing a friend! What other church members are you teaching? I can't wait to see pictures of your apartment. Hope to talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I am so excited about her school. I think Im going to really love it...and her! She is too sweet =) we are also teaching Andrea and Franco V. (Luca said he might come as well).Thanks for keeping up with the blog! I promise to post photos asap!! ciao bella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with Franco V. I think he lasted through two lessons with us! ;) He has more motivation this time though. Fabrizio wants to learn English two, but pinning him down for a lesson would be next to impossible! "How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man that pasta looks good! Love you and see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete