28 March 2011

We're swiming!

Hello again!
Last week was our first Sunday to get together with Andrea! After church on Sunday, Fabrizio drove, Eric, me, Andrea, and Laura to visit a horse ranch right outside of Taranto. Who knew we would be visiting horses in Southern Italy??? The weather is changing here and the cool breeze of spring is such a treat. It was so nice to spend the afternoon out together=)


Eric and Andrea






Fabrizio, Eric, and Andrea


Laura


Andrea, Fabrizio, Eric, and me


Laura was a little shy at first.... =)


Initially, our plan for later that evening was to get a pizza and watch a movie together. However, when we tried to hook up the projector, something went wrong with Fabrizio's computer and it was a no go. Instead we popped some popcorn. I had no idea it would be such a hit! I guess I never thought about popcorn not being as common in other countries as it is in America. Anyways, they loved it. In fact, Laura came over two other times last week, and I think the real reason was for the popcorn ;) Wednesday when she came over, I thought we were going to just watch a film together, since it didn’t work out Sunday night. She had other plans! After we ate our popcorn, we (she, Eric and I) played hide and go seek for 2 hrs! It was a lot of fun. I’m really enjoying getting to know her better and becoming friends.

The day before, Tuesday, Eric and I got up early to pass out flyers about our upcoming Wednesday night class at the church. We have high hopes for this outreach. It was really good to get out and make some connections within the community. We didn’t think it would be as easy to get people interested in learning English as it is in Florence (Florence is a lot more of a tourist city. So learning English is becoming almost a requirement.); however, we were pleasantly surprised! We made a lot of connections. In fact, one lady in particular was very interesting. We headed into her store and at first thought by her facial expression,  that she wanted us out of her store! Ha. But when she started to talk, she was actually really interested in us. She asked a lot of questions and then all of the sudden she got up and started to walk out of her store while telling us to follow her. We soon found out that her nephew worked across the street and she wanted to introduce us to him! It’s true what you see in the movies about Italians wanting to make you feel like family. I have to say this is one of the things we are always surprised by but really love about Italy =) After talking with her for awhile she told us that she had a lot of friends/family who would be very interested in taking the class, only if it were offered at a different time. She then asked if she were to get all of her friends together and decide a day and time when we could meet at the church, if we would teach them. Obviously we said yes! Isn’t that a neat encounter? Anyways, she called last week and we are stopping by her store tomorrow to meet some of her friends who are interested in the class! Say a little prayer for us =)

Later that evening, I had my class with Antonella. Afterwards, Eric met for the first time with her boyfriend Luca. Everything went great and they started class officially this week. In between time, Eric came down with some type of mini-flu. I really don’t know what to call it- but it was head- throat- nose- cough-sinus etc. 

Thursday, we went to the pharmacy and asked for something that we could have without a prescription that would help Eric get better. After this, he took his medicine and stayed in bed for the rest of the day =(Later in the afternoon, I met with a woman and her husband who are the friends of my student/friend in Scandicci! My friend, Renata, used to come to Puglia every summer with her family when she was growing up for vacation. Originally, her parents are from this region of Italy. Anyways, long story short, this lady, Loredana, and Renata are very close friends. So when I told Renata that we were moving to Taranto, she immediately told me of her friend who only lives about 15- 20 min away! It was so nice to meet Loredana and her husband. They were such a sweet couple! I think in the future they may be interested in classes. Like Renata, Loredana is an English teacher in the public school system- actually they went to college together to become English teachers! It was comforting to meet someone who I sort of already had a connection with- if that makes any sense. Anyways, I am excited for Eric to meet them soon and to get to know them better! After having coffee with them, I met Fabrizio at our apartment to pass out some additional flyers in town. Again, I feel like it went well and we are ready to start the class!

Friday, Eric was still pretty sick. In the morning, I went and taught at Laura's school. By the way, we printed off flyers and a sign up sheet for the kids’ class that we want to start next month. I gave them to Laura's teacher and she said she would talk to their parents for me and try to get a list of kids who are interested! We are really excited and hopeful about this outreach as well. After school, I came home and cooked lunch- which, on a side note, is a big task for me here in Italy. Its difficult for many reasons and besides that I’m not really a great cook to start with ...ha. But, I am learning. On this topic, number 1, I’ve decided its a lot easier when you have a recipe (I suppose to a lot of other people, maybe this is common knowledge. This past week, I have been raiding the internet for new recipes that use the ingredients I can find here.) and, number 2, that you live and learn! Everything is so different when you move to a different country to live, that with some things it’s easy to feel like you cant do anything! But the truth is, you can, you just have to learn to live differently-, as my mom always says- there's more than one way to skin a cat! This last week for example, I finally figured out how to make macaroni and cheese! yay!! They don’t have any type of cheddar here or yellow cheese, but I learned that you can use a cheese called Asiago- topped with bread crumbs-wonderful. I also made a "skillet lasagna" and a "chicken marsale fettuccini". Not bad. Tomorrow I am trying another new recipe for lunch! Oh! Also while I am on the subject- we found a new grocery store that carries peanut butter, powdered sugar, and....maple syrup!!! I couldn’t believe it- then we saw the price and we couldn’t believe that either! Guess. No you'll never guess. It was 9.95 euro, which is equivalent to about 14 USD!!That gave us a good laugh.
Anyways, Friday evening was Bible study. Again, Eric was still sick so he stayed home. Service went well, its always encouraging to get to see everyone =) This Friday Antonietta got to come as well. Normally Vito (her husband) comes (from Latiana where they live) in the mornings on Friday and works during the day at the church and stays until the evening worship. This Friday, he didn’t come in the morning, so this meant Antonietta got to come too! I really enjoy getting to know her. I feel like she and Vito relate a lot to Eric and I being away from our families, because two of their daughters live in other countries as well. That night after church Eric and I were supposed to go to a concert in Taranto with Fabrizio and Luca. Eric obviously could not go because he really needed to rest and let his medicine work, but we felt like I should still go. We were trying to figure out what to do with Eric's ticket when I remembered talking about the concert with Antoinetta two weeks ago, and I remembered how much she said she liked this singer! I called her and she said she would love to go! After service, the four of us took off for the concert! This was Antonietta's first concert!



Antonietta, Luca, and Fabrizio


Me and Antoinetta. Yes- the bow. I have no idea why they were selling light up Minnie Mouse ears becasue it had nothing to do with this concert! Ha. I thought they were too funny and had to get a pair!


Here is where the concert was. Apparently, Taranto is famous for its basketball teams and the concert was held in one of the basketball arenas. 


The singer's name was Alessandra Amorosa. She was very talented. She actually is from Puglia and so this concert was especially emotional for her. It seems to us that where we are and areas around here, are alot more rural and poorer than the regions further north. Many times, she would say how grateful she was and how thankful to have reached her dreams. =)



Here you can see all of her dedicated fans! 


Saturday Eric was finally feeling a little better. After school, Laura and her friend came over for popcorn and hide and seek =) The next morning was church and Eric was feeling much better! Afterwards, because it was the last Sunday of the month, it was the Agape (remember its like Potluck Sunday). Each time it rotates from church to church within the three cities: Taranto, Mesagne, and Latiana. This Sunday it was at the church in Mesagne- which is about an hour or a little less, from where we are in Taranto. Luca and Fabrizio drove their mom and us to the Agape. This was our first time to visit this church and to meet all of the members! It was definitely encouraging to see new faces and enjoy lunch together. 



Fabrizio, his mom, and Antoinetta's mother- who by the way is 85! I wish I had a better picture of her. She does not look a year over 65. It was incredible. 



Some of the kiddos =)


After we finished eating, Vito asked if I would mind taking some pictures of each family to eventually compose a family album each of them. Of course I didnt mind! He was my model for trying to find the best spot for the sun=)



Ok, I will be honest with you and tell you that I do not remember everyone's names! There was a ot of Italian flying and alot of new faces! Im sorry and I will have them the next time! 
However, I do know Massimo! and this is his family =)


I also know this family because we have met several times. Here is Franco and his wife Anna Maria and their son Mino. 


Ok this is a new family. They were having a good time joking around- and so I couldnt resist but to snap one of them having fun =)





Luca, the Moma, and Fabrizio


Ok the following 4 photos are so funny and I am so happy to have caught them on film! ha. Enjoy.


haha!


The woman here is Vito's sister and this is her husband and their two boys.


Vito and Antonietta.

We love all of you! Thank you for your prayers this week! Cant wait to tell you what all this next week brings. xoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment