06 March 2012

drops of sunshine

I go through phases with our laundry. 



Some days I whisk it right out the window to clip on the lines, and other times, I am more inclined to keep it inside, pinned on our laundry rack out on the enclosed veranda, safe from the pigeons. The change in the weather has been so refreshing. Today we awoke to a beautiful sunny morning with the birds chirping and the sun pouring in through the glass doors of our apartment. I decided to transfer our laundry outside to whip back and forth in the sunshine. On my last clip, I looked up to notice that the sky had become a dark shade of Payne's grey. A cool breeze brushed past my cheek- one drop, two drops  . .. . down pour! Big wet drops of rain. I was a sight to be seen. Our veranda is on the back side of our apartment building. When you open the windows, you directly face the back side of several other apartment complexes. With the third and fourth drop of rain, like a coo-coo clock, all of the windows immediately flew open! Laundry was flying left and right, clothes pins were clipping all throughout the piazza, and the women couldn't pluck the laundry off their lines fast enough! 




The rain was a wet cool rain. Even though our laundry got a little damp from the drops, I couldn't help but enjoy the rain.



I feel God's spirit moving fluidly in these past months since we have returned from America. Some things are changing with our work, other more unfortunate realities stay the same, but more than anything I am noticing Him. He is with us at the post office, the supermarket, our Bible studies, in our home. It seems that He is again preparing us for new things and to be honest, I am, as always, a bit apprehensive on the front end of change, but in the middle of it, I find myself in a joy that I cant ever seem to find elsewhere. Change is refreshing, like the rain- a newness; it brings with itself a new sense of hope.



We have learned so many things on our journey here in Italy- one of the biggest is the ability to maintain hope. One reason Ive always believed that God blessed me with Eric as my husband is because of His unwavering faith in God. Nothing gets Eric down- he's one of those "the glass is half full" thinkers ;) I on the other hand, tend to be the other side of that mentality. Yet, lately, I feel like I am learning the joy that comes with our faith. Its a calmness and sense of security that is all too refreshing.



Some of the newness that we have been experiencing lately are new contacts. Reminder: never underestimate the power of prayer.  After only a few prayers , the opportunities came knocking. Suddenly we were meeting all of our neighbors, making plans to visit for cafe and dessert, planing to meet with the lady at the pharmacy next to Pam for English lessons, going out with our students, and even meeting a new couple who are now attending our weekly Bible studies! I cant even count the things He is doing right now, and I am pretty positive this is where my sense of hope is coming from. Where would we be without the help of our Lord??? When we get frustrated as Christians, I personally always fall back on the necessity of humility- do I have it? Am I shining through humility for Him? Even something so simple as my Bible class with the girls, the Lord convicts me and humbles me to bring me closer and closer to Him. Its amazing and so beautiful. This is joy. This is what we need to communicate to the world! He died so that we can have life!

More specifically...aside from the normal . . . in these past couple weeks we. . . .

. . . have meet and visited with a teenager from Latiano named Mino (not the Mino who we have mentioned before). We discussed organizing some activities to bring all the teens in the southern Puglia region to a closer unity. We have planned on trying to visit different congregations in the south once a month. I wont go into too much detail, but this boy was such a blessing to us that day he came to visit us. He took the morning train from Latiano to Taranto and we met him at the station around 9 that morning. He was straightforward telling us how much the youth of his congregation is searching for edification. He said, 'when I saw you guys, I just immediately latched on.' His hunger for the Lord and for wisdom is just written all over his face. After lunch before he left our apartment he said the most beautiful prayer and left us in tears.. . I cant help but be excited about what God is drawing up for the youth here in the south....

. . . . are becoming more acquainted with our neighbors. After Carnivale, I went to take some of the left over Oreo balls to our neighbors. As always, they were excited and so sweet to us. We are planning to have the 2nd floor neighbors (They are a BIG family... we first meet the grandmother last year and we always stop and chat when we see each other out and about .. However, the first time we went to her apartment, we discovered that she lives with her son and his wife and their two daughters! ), and our 4th floor neighbor (who is an older woman who is always walking her dog around the piazza out front of our apartment. It wasn't until recently that we discovered that she has an older son as well) over for a visit next week after we return from Florence.

The 1st floor neighbors are another story! I first met the daughter (who is probably in her late 40's) when I went out one morning to get some laundry detergent. She had with her the sweetest little pup and of course I couldn't help but ask to pet him! ha. We exchanged some small talk and I went on my way. That night we left the apartment to go to church because it was Friday , and when we turned the corner, I ran into her again! I thought it was sort of a coincidence, but then just assumed that she must live around here close. The next morning we went out to take a walk (because it was SUCH a beautiful day!) and there was the same dog, but this time with an older man. Well, of course, the dog pulled me in again. We got to talking with the man, turns out it is his dog, and the other woman was his daughter. While we were talking, she came out of nowhere and joined our conversation! Her sister enjoys learning English. . . and the parents (with the dog) live in our apartment building! ha!

Anyways, this past Saturday we went to their place for a visit and talked alot. . . about everything. Also turns out that she knew the past Italian missionaries who were here in Taranto for many years! We talked about the church and the Bible and our beliefs.. . . which by the way I am learning alot more in depth about the doctrines of Catholicism. .  and I honestly, I have to admit that many times, I remain sort of shocked . . . I think a part of it may be living in the south because the traditions run a lot deeper here. One example is the importance placed on the church and Mary. It is quite substantial.... One point in the conversation I learned that,  Mary is considered by some to be even more important than Jesus. It was explained to me that Jesus cant relate to us because He is so far above us, so perfect, where are Mary is like our mediator who protects us from the punishment of Jesus... I immediately remembered these verses: "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4:15-16

When you really consider their outlook, it is a sad one. Many times we see alot of fear here in the Italian people. They are so afraid to mess up or to miss "the mark"..... . .  but they dont realize that "the mark" is Jesus. It is like a master deception. . . They are so close to the Light, but instead of going straight to Him, they are broken off into paths that circle around Him.. . Please pray that the people can see the Light, the only Way, the Truth, Jesus the Christ. I am certain God is doing something here with this family.  I do have to laugh that that God pulled me into all this with a sweet little puppy! :) 



This was taken the day we met our 1st floor neighbors on our walk about Taranto.


ahhhh....Lungo Mare :)


They have for the most part kept this little stretch pretty tidy lately .. . complementi!


 Even though we know the dangers of the waters here (all the poisons from L'Ilva), I couldn't help but be refreshed by looking at it this day. . . 


We also began visiting Anna Maira again, who had been sick for some time now. However, yesterday when I called her, I learned that she is sick again! Please pray that she can recover quickly!

Another area that God is working is with our students. We are making closer connections them in these past weeks... it seems as if our friendships are growing a little deeper :) Please pray that these relationships can continue to grow so that we can have even more opportunities to share His Light! 


One night a couple weeks ago our students took us to go and eat some meat in Martina Franca (a small town that is known for it's meat). 


Francesco, Eric, and Luca

This was one of the first times that we have got to really talk with Francesco. He is not one of our students but he is the boyfriend of Federica, my student. Anyways, he actually speaks English really well and it was fun to talk with him in english that night!


Antonella, me, and Federica :)




Luciana, Carmela, Zia Tina, and Monica


This night Eric and I went for pizza with Carmela, Zia Tina, Monica, Laura, and Monica's daughter Fiorenza. When we got to the pizzeria, Carmela told me that her other friends would be coming as well- Luciana and her husband Giuseppe. It was a great night! We really enjoyed getting to know Luciana and Giuseppe. That following week, Luciana came to our apartment for the womens Bible study and Giuseppe met the men at the church for the mens study! They are really interested in learning more about the Bible and having a closer relationship with Christ, especially Giuseppe. Not only have they been coming to the studies, but last Friday for service at the church, we watched the film "the Grace Card " here in Taranto (like we did at Mesagna), and they came and joined us for this as well. It was a really great turn out- Zia Tina, Lucia, little Samanta,  Luana and thier mom Madelaina, plus members of the Taranto congregation came. It was a wonderful night together :)



Samanta loved her Sponge Bob coloring book! thanks mom :)

We hope that you are encourgaged when you read about the ways God is moving and working in Itlay. Recently we feel surrounded by opportunites to shine for Him. We are praying for God to give us couragetly we feel surrounded by opportunites to shine for Him. We are praying for God to give us courage and stregnth so that we can be ready for every opportunity He sends our way. He is increasing our confidence daily and providing endless opportunites to show His love to those around us. Thank you for your support and your prayers that allow us to be here in His service in Taranto. We are truly grateful. xoxoxoxxoxoxox 

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23



No comments:

Post a Comment