13 March 2012

A wonderful weekend in Florence.




A view from the mini bus of southern Italy country side.

This past Thursday we took the shuttle bus to the Bari airport (about an hour ride from TA).


Once we arrived in Bari, we  took the evening flight into Pisa.


The sky just kept growing more beautiful!


Look at those colors!

. . .  A couple hours later, we arrived late that night in Florence.


Florence is probably my favorite city. ever. Nothing can compare with its beauty.




The Duomo


We were lucky to enjoy a stroll through the city. 


Danielle, Me, and Arban!

We booked this flight about a month ago after learning that my dear friend Danielle, her husband Luli, and their baby boy Arban, would be leaving Italy this month to start a new life together in America. Danielle and I became friends almost instantly when we first met way back in September '10 when our team first arrived in Scandicci. We are so thankful to have the gift of their friendship:)



Before service on Sunday, the church had a small going away breakfast for them.


As always, there was plenty of great food accompanied by an awesome slide show in the background. . . . .  . .I especially love Arban in this shot!


Meet Melissa! Melissa is currently living at the Bible School. She has finished school and is looking for a job in Florence doing some sort of teaching Italian to foreigners. Could she have picked a better place to stay thab the Bible School??? Apparetnly she is already teaching all the Avanti workers in her spare time, and in the mean time, no doubt, is learning everyday about American culture at the Bible School. **For all you Avanti committee members- I personally think she would be a great addition to the team there in Scandicci. I think it would be so benifcial to have her employed at the Bible School. Not only would it add some Italian culture to the school, but it would be beneficial to the workers in so many ways as well. Just an idea. She is actually from southern Italy- a city called Catania. I really wish we would have had more time to talk with her. Although, we seemed to almost immediatley share a bond being that we are both from the south :) 


Kelly chatting it up with the kids of the new HUF teachers. :)


Doris, Howard, and Mario

As luck would have it, we also got to see Howard and Doris!! They decided to tag along with their daughter Jennifer and her husband Gary, who were the previous Bible School directors. Sunday, we met with Howard and Gary and got to soak up a little of their many years of wisdom on the mission field. God bless you all for the tiredless years of service and love you have brought to the people here in Itlay!


Singing and wishing the Betjta family farewell!. . . . . We miss you already!


 Arban! I cant believe how much you have grown!


Danielle, Arban, me, and Luli

We miss you SO much already. We cant wait to reunite in the states! Love you!



Behzad, Eric, Andrea, Renata, Clizia, and me

The weekend couldnt have been any sweeter. Not only did we get to soak up the weekend with Danielle and Luli, but with Andrea as well! Andrea made a short trip from where she lives now in Ferara also to say goodbye to Danielle and Luli. We both also got to see and go out with our old students of the Bible School! Its incredible to think about our relationships with them. We both are thankful for the many ways that we have grown closer over our time in Italy...even since being apart! 




Andrea, Renata, Clizia, and me


Andrea, me, Clizia, and Renata

How time flies.. I will forever be grateful to have met these amazing women! I know Eric feels just as blessed to have met Behzad and Alessandro as well!! 


1  . . 2 . . 3 . . J-U-M-P!!


It was truly a blessing to be able to hug and laugh with all my girl friends- just to enjoy a weekend of fun together. Thank you Lord, you knew just what we needed.


Andrea, Melissa, Arnold (Angela's friend), Angela, Kelli, me, and Eric
Saturday night pizza together!


The icing on top of it all was that we got to meet the new AI workers!!!! Let me just tell you, they are a great group and we are excited to see where and how the Lord will lead and use each of them during their time here in Italy. Saturday night we all went our for a pizza together, and I was so refreshed by their willingness and want to serve. Talking with them, I was reminded of many of the same struggles and trials that we faced during our first months in Scandicci.


Melissa, Kelli, Laura, Peter, Ryan, Eric, Peter Bell, Angela, and Arnold
The whole gang, well, the whole gang minus Andrea and plus Arnold, after church on Sunday.

Its almost like senior year. You can look back and remember how it felt coming in as the "new kids", and somehow, seemingly overnight, you find yourself tagged as "alumni." Looking back, I still dont understand alot of things! ha. I could identify with so many of the things they were struggling with as if I myself were still struggling with them. I cant say that all of our struggles and problems will always work themselves out- sometimes we are left without answers. What I can say that I am learning is that He will provide me with the grace and the strength I need for every step I take in His name. If I will just take that step, He is right there with me. I find myself amazed in His presence, even when I dont have all the answers. The best part about it all is that, we know in all things and all ways He will be glorified. This is why we do what we do.



I cant really explain this sense of peace I have been experiencing lately. . . His love is just spilling out. Overflowing and spilling out! I cant help but be joyful! Even though I dont understand alot of what goes on around us here in Taranto, I cant help but to call out and Praise HIM anyway! He is truly increasing my faith and my joy- and I know that He is with us every step of our journey here.


You know, the new kids thanked us for coming and encouraging them, but really, they are the ones who have refreshed and encouraged us! God truly has blessed us with a weekend full of peace, joy, encouragement, and love. Thank you Lord!



Please continue to pray for all of us here who are a part of this work in Italy. Pray for the people we meet, and the opportunities that He brings to us everyday. Thank you for your love and support that holds us up while we are here.



"Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them. As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, “Why are you untying the colt?” They replied, “The Lord needs it.” They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road.


When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:


  “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!”
   “Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!” 


Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”  
“I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.” 
Luke 19:32-40

No comments:

Post a Comment